i3 is the title of an evangelism strategy that facilitates Forest Hill Church’s passion and priority to equip its members to personally share the good news of Jesus Christ with those who intersect their lives by interceding for, investing and inviting them. As a church, we seek to more effectively and intentionally reach our friends, families and neighbors with the life transforming love and truth of God through Christ. Here are some basic ideas to begin incorporating the i3 strategy as a mindset and lifestyle.
We are committed to diligently pray for the temporal and eternal needs of those without Christ in ways that may lead them to trust their lives to Christ as Savior.
1 Timothy 2:1-4 ESV: First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way. This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
- Begin praying that God would give you His heart for the world around you; that you would develop a kingdom sensitivity to what He is already doing and how He seeks to include you in His work in reaching a lost and broken world.
- Make yourself aware of and pray for the specific needs of those in your immediate sphere of contact and influence. Pray that God may begin to work in their lives.
- Pray for an opportunity to share “His Story” of love and sacrifice and “Your Story” of how Jesus has impacted Your life.
- Pray for them to be able to truly see how Jesus Christ can and will meet the deepest need in their life for forgiveness and new life with God forever; pray that they will accept His invitation and gift of abundant and eternal life.
We will seek to be intentional in our relationships with people who don’t know Christ by leveraging our time, energy and resources to demonstrate God’s love and care for them through our lives in ways that may lead them to trust their lives to Christ as Savior.
1 Timothy 2:8 ESV: So, being affectionately desirous of you, we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us.
- Be willing and ready to come into personal contact with others and to share your life with them; let them know in special ways that they matter to God and to you.
- Develop a relationship by spending time with them. Share a meal or go to a sporting event. Grab a cup of coffee. Include them in the events of your life.
- Be alert to ways you can personally and concretely care for them; ask them how they’re doing; celebrate good events in their life; grieve with them during the not-so-good events; send cards. Be a living representative of the love and compassion of Christ.
- Be willing to spend time with them conversing about significant matters such as faith, eternity, and the reality of God.
We are willing and ready to offer personal and sincere invitations to those without Christ for them to take steps in encountering the truth of His Gospel in ways that will lead them to accepting God’s invitation of salvation through faith in Jesus.
2 Corinthians 5:18-20 ESV: All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God.
- Ask them to attend a church function where they can learn more about the truth of Jesus Christ. This includes a weekend service, a LifeGroup event, a special mid-sized group event, or to view one of our live streaming services, past weekend messages, or archived podcasts.
- Ask them to let you share with them the personal impact Christ has made on your life.
- When appropriate, ask thoughtful questions like: What would you say Christianity is all about?, What do you think Jesus said about Himself?, What have you heard and what do you think about what others have said about Jesus?, or Who is Jesus to you?
- Invite them to hear from you a brief personal explanation of the good news of Jesus Christ and the grace of God through Him. Share with them the One Verse Evangelism© using Romans 6:23.
- Invite them to trust their life to Christ for forgiveness from sins and a new fellowship with God forever.